Change Without Fear
CHANGE WITHOUT FEAR – Keynote, Workshop
The Science of Managing Stress and Conquering Your Fear of Change
A huge proportion of people are absolutely terrified of change and will use every ounce of strength they have to fight it or avoid it (the good old fight or flight). You need to understand why, and how you can hold their hand through their terror. Marty shares his vast knowledge of all the rigorous scientific evidence that proves the best way to short-circuit fear and get your people to open up to new ideas is to use large doses of humour.
And this is absolutely vital for business because as he says: “When you refuse to change, you don’t hold onto the past, you just lose the future.”
While other change management speakers talk about implementation workflow, process models, and personal transition frameworks, Marty Wilson speaks to your people like they are thinking, feeling human beings. People with hearts and minds, doubts and fears.
Marty teaches that there is absolutely no point giving your employees new systems or investing in the best new software if you can’t convince the real flesh and blood human beings to let go of ‘the way we used to do it’.
When we are scared, the evolutionary processes buried in our brains make them enter survival mode – we stop thinking straight, stick to ‘what we used to do’ and this shuts down our ability to take on new ideas. Marty’s hilarious keynote uses the perfect blend of science and rib-tickling stories to explain why we get so scared of new things in the first place, and how we can use humour to stay light, and embrace change in a powerful, user-friendly way.
In this hilarious program full of takeaway tips and advice, Marty Wilson reveals:
– How being scared actually changes which part of our brain does the thinking, and how this blocks our ability to listen, particularly to ideas that involve remembering new steps and processes.
– Why the best change management models often fail because they ignore the fact that they’re being implemented by human beings with thoughts, fears and emotions.
– The psychological reasons why laughter banishes anxiety and can help replace fear by bringing things into perspective
– 3 pieces of rigorous scientific research which proves that ‘staying light’ and keeping your sense of humour are absolutely essential for problem solving in times of high stress
– how extreme workplaces – like Hospital Emergency Departments – actively encourage humour to manage stress and reduce overwhelm
– strategies stand up comics use to manage fear before a gig, and how you can use them overcome the ‘fight or flight’ response – which is huge in times of change
– Why you have to deal with the fear in your people BEFORE you can expect them to embrace new systems, structures and methods
– the huge ROI businesses get by giving employees time to look after their health and wellbeing through times of change
“Marty Wilson is the funniest serious guy I know.
He makes me laugh but also challenges me to think. Marty gives every crowd deep insights, a big dose of heart and an even bigger serve of laughter. I love this guy to bits and give him my full recommendation.”
Anh Do, Stand Up Comic, Film Maker, Writer, Actor
“Forget teaspoons, Marty gives the audience two or three heaped tablespoons of sugar to help the medicine go down.
A session with Marty leaves a crowd inspired to live fearlessly, communicate more openly and take themselves – and life – more lightly.”
Siimon Reynolds, Author, Speaker, Founding Director of the Photon Group
“Marty is one of the most entertaining speakers I have ever seen. His message was also meaningful and thought provoking.
I would recommend Marty to any organisation.”
Sue Crawford, Crombie Lockwood Insurance, NZ
“The light hearted and comic approach was the highlight of the conference. We are delighted with the extremely positive feedback we have had.”
Debra Cerasa, CEO of the Royal College of Nurses
“Marty kept the entire evening moving along with his humour, while maintaining the focus on the fund raising purpose of the function. He read the night well, kept everyone engaged and he made an important contribution to the success of the evening.”
Max Gosling, CEO of Cure Cancer
“While Marty Wilson is a seriously funny guy, he is also a truly dynamic and thought provoking speaker. His content is thoroughly researched and built upon sharing through the lives of many, which really sets him apart from other speakers”.
John Paul Pullicino, Commercial Lead – Global Brands, Pfizer
“In today’s fast paced world where the only constant is change, every organisation needs some time with Marty Wilson.
He has that unique ability to combine meaningful insights with a delivery style that challenges your thinking and have the room in stitches. A rare gift. I thoroughly recommend Marty to any corporate event where you are looking for fun and well researched meaning behind what you do for a living.”
Greg Dalton, Head Program Delivery, Westpac